Thursday, October 31, 2013

Urban Decay Vice 2 Palette: A Good Buy?

We all see those "deals" out there at the beauty store (and everywhere else for that matter).  It usually involves the phrase "A $xx.xx value!".  I don't know about the rest of you, but it usually makes me angry.  I mean, really, who is sitting there doing the math?  Obviously the people selling the darn thing.  Oh, and the higher the value v.s. the less you pay, well then jump right in my cart there little guy, you're coming home!  No.  I refuse to believe it unless I do the math myself.  A little anal retentive?  Why, yes!  I decided to crunch the numbers on the Urban Decay Vice 2 Palette, newly released.  



Now to be fair, this product did not have a sticker on it claiming to be a fabulous value, but many bloggers, YouTubers, and store employees sure do hype it up.  So is it worth the $59 sticker price?  Let's start calculating.

(Hello Beautiful!)

A single UD eye shadow weighs in at 0.05 oz for $18.00.  That's a pretty steep price from the get go considering single Cover Girl eye shadows weigh 0.09 oz and cost around $3.99.  I can say they aren't the same in quality though; not even close.  The pigmentation and application of UD eye shadows are incredible!  They have very little fallout and you need less of them to get the look you are trying to achieve, but for numbers sake I decided to throw it in there.   

The shadows in the Vice 2 Palette are 0.03 oz, so you aren't getting a full size eye shadow, and anyone who claims that you are clearly can't read labels.  If you break down the cost per hundredths of an ounce, a single full size UD shadow costs $3.60 for 0.01 oz of product ($18.00 X 0.05 = $360 X 100 = $3.60).  Multiply that by 3 and you get $10.80.  That is the price you would pay retail for EACH 0.03 oz eye shadow in the Vice 2 kit.  If you multiply $10.80 by 20 (which is how many shadows you get in the palette) you come to $216.  So, yeah, you're definitely saving money here since you are only paying $59; a savings of $157.  


But here's the kink in that master plan.  Does anyone really love all the colors that come in the palettes?  I mean, it's kind of a roll of the dice when it comes to how many of those colors you will use.  For some reason, this palette works for me though.  I love creating smokey looks with colors similar to each other and venturing away from the basic black smokey eye.  This palette gives me that option while also adding colors to my collection to tie in colors from other palettes that have been neglected. 

(Swatched from top to bottom: Smokeout, Prank, Radar, & Dope)

(Swatched from top to bottom: Habit, Voodoo, Strike, Shellshock, Toxic, Damaged, Madness, & Lovesick)

(Swatched from top to bottom: Rewind, Derailed, Poison, X-rated, Ambush, Betrayal, Stash, & Coax)

The only thing I really don't like about this kit is that it comes with a brush.  Urban Decay's brushes are pretty junky in my humble opinion.  They flake product all over your face, and the payoff is crap because of it.  They look and feel flimsy.  Give me an eyeliner instead.  I'll actually USE that.  Considering the brushes cost around $26, and an eyeliner is $19, they'd save some dough giving us that instead.  If you want good brushes that are affordable, go with Sigma.

Anyways, really it is up to you.  The math works out to a good buy, but it comes down to personal taste overall.  If you see yourself wearing these colors, go for it!  I chose to get it with a 20% off at Ulta coupon which took $11.80 off the total, so I got this puppy for $47.20.  Obviously still quite a lot of money, but I know I will use it.

Do you have or want this palette?  Do you hate it?  What are YOUR thoughts?

XO - Bekah

No comments:

Post a Comment