Thursday, November 7, 2013

Tarte Gorgeous Getaways Portable Palette Set: Review & Swatches

It is amazing how much my purchases are influenced by the blogs I read and YouTube videos I watch.  I usually have very drastic reactions to what I see such as "OMG, I NEED THAT IN MY LIFE!" to "Really?  You spent that much money on that?!".  Examples of these reactions are the Tarte Gorgeous Getaways Portable Palette Set (Exclusive to Ulta for the holidays) and the Dior Creme de Rose lip balm.  I had to have the Tarte set, and happily spent birthday gift cards acquiring it.  The lip balm on the other hand seemed ridiculous to me.  Don't get me wrong ... I sampled it and it smells and feels amazing, but the $27 price tag for freaking lip balm made me wonder why anyone would shell out that kind of cash.  The Tarte set quickly made it into my October favorites so I am here to share with you why that is.  



For starters, you get 16 eye shadows, 4 blushes, 3 lip glosses, and an adorable portable palette case in which to put them.  I also love the fact that Tarte is cruelty-free and is formulated without parabens, mineral oil, phthalates, triclosan, sodium lauryl sulfate, & gluten.  I made my way over to Ulta and grabbed it while it was still in stock.  

All the shadows are named after places as are the glosses.  The blushes aren't which is odd since they are unique to this palette and aren't part of the main collection.  Whatever, I love them anyway.  The set is broken up into 4 collections, each with 4 eye shadows and 1 blush.  You can pop them out of the box and place them in the palette and you are ready to go.  THAT is why this set made it into my favorites post.  I traveled a lot in October and this helped me pack lightly in terms of makeup.  


The first set is probably my least favorite of the bunch.  While the glimmery eye shadows have a good pigmentation, the matte ones are lacking.  This set had 3 matte, which kind of sucks, but the glimmer one is lovely and the berry toned blush is very flattering on my skin tone.  


The next set is actually my favorite of the bunch.  You get 4 glimmery shadows and a coral/peachy blush.  I packed this for a wedding and I got so many compliments on my makeup.  


On to the next set.  This one has 2 glimmers and 2 mattes and a mauve/plum blush.  I packed this set for my anniversary weekend in the mountains and I liked it, but found the lightest shade to be somewhat useless as it is only slightly lighter than my skin color and matte, so it barely shows.  


The last set, again, has 2 glimmers and 2 mattes as well as a bright pink blush.  I'm not so sure about the navy blue color shadow, but those shimmery ones are fantastic!  


The lip glosses don't fit in the travel palette which I find slightly annoying, but they make up for it because they smell like Thin Mint cookies.  Not kidding, I think there are crushed up Girl Scout cookies in these.  I particulary like the shade Czech Me Out (Haha...get it?  Too cute!)


Overall, I think Tarte can improve on their pigmentation as it takes some working with the product to build up a good wash of color, but I have worked with worse products, and these have the bonus of not causing fallout.  What do you think?  Love it or leave it?  

XO - Bekah

No comments:

Post a Comment