Friday, October 4, 2013

Birchbox Haul & Review


So if you follow me on Twitter, you know that I signed up for a Birchbox this past Sunday.  I had been visiting my best friend, Carol, for the weekend and she pulls out these six, like, basically unused Birchboxes.  She basically dumped them out on the coffee table and said, “Have at it”. 

Now to me, this was a little like winning the lottery.  Not that I’d know what that feels like, I haven’t been that lucky in life.  Maybe two bucks from a scratch off here and there, but I can imagine it feels pretty darn good…kind of like your bestie giving you free beauty samples. 


(Chock full of goodies!)


So I picked a bunch from the glorious pile and I gotta say, I think I did a pretty good job.  I went a little heavy on the lip products, but hey that’s how I roll.  I’ve had a few days to test them out and here are my first impressions. 


First up is the Juice Beauty Green Apple Peel Sensitive.  Now, the back of this box says that it “exfoliates and refines” so I gotta say, I kind of expected it to be grittier.  I mean this stuff is almost like that lemon curd you buy in a jar to put on top of cookies.  It’s translucent when applied, lightweight, and absolutely no grit to it whatsoever.   





So I was really skeptical when I tried it.  The first thing I noticed was that it kind of stings when it is applied.  Not super uncomfortable or anything, but a noticeable tingle.  I immediately thought I was having an allergic reaction so I quickly looked up reviews on Ulta and apparently this is normal.  I’ve tried it twice now and while it does make my skin feel very soft, I am not sure I am sold on this product.  Maybe it is one of those things that needs a few weeks (those products DO exist, I promise), I can’t justify spending $39 for a tub of something that didn’t wow me from the beginning.  My Mario Badescu Flower & Tonic Mask does the same thing, if not better, doesn’t sting, smells great, and only costs $18.  I dunno.  I will keep trying it while the sample lasts, but so far this one seems to be merely an okay product, but nothing to rave about.




Next up are two tea bags (really random, I know) that were pretty yummy.  Both were from Kusmi Tea and both were pretty darn tasty.  Now I did a little research and found out that a 20 pack of these tea bags are $15.50.  That’s a little steep (pun definitely intended) for tea, but I am kind of used to it because I love Teavana and their tea is pricey too.  The two varieties I got were “Be Cool” and “Detox”.   “Be Cool” reminded me a lot like Sleepytime tea, but with hints of lavender and something else I couldn’t place.  According to the website it is rose hips so I was going in the right direction.  Very yummy.   “Detox” is green tea with lemon and again, very tasty.  I think I’d buy this from time to time as a tea treat.



On to the four lip products I grabbed.  I took a Mirenesse Glossy Kiss in the color “Perfect Kiss”, a Cargo lip gloss in “Route 66”, an Elizabeth Arden Beautiful Color Luminous Lip Gloss in “Precious Petal”, and a Stila Stay All Day Liquid Lipstick in “Beso”. 



So the Mirenesse one threw me for a loop.  I put in on and basically instantly hated it.  I’m sitting there looking at my lips and saying, “this is a HORRIBLE color”, when, before my eyes I began to see it change.  Now, I read the packaging extensively and didn’t see anything on there that said it was a body temperature changing thing so I thought that was really weird.  It started to look better and better and I finally decided that I actually liked it.   


The best part was that it was very moisturizing and made my lips feel super soft.  I’m not sure I’d spend $26.55 (which is a weird price, can I just point that out?) for it, but I’ll enjoy the sample while it lasts. 



Next up is the Cargo lip gloss which is a my lips but better color.  I didn’t like this one though because it was sticky and I hate sticky lip glosses.   


They get my hair stuck in them and they gunk up my mouth and I just don’t like em!  So this one is not one I would recommend if you get all weird about it like I just did.  


The Elizabeth Arden one is NICE.  Like, really, really nice.  It’s a very pale color, which would look great over a nude lip color, and the best part is it smells like vanilla cupcakes.  


 (This picture does not give it justice, but it was incredibly difficult to photograph!)

Hells to the yeah.  Sold.  It’s $18 so it’s up there but not breaking the bank and worth the investment.  Not much else has to be said about it.  It’s pretty awesome. 



The last and, frankly, the most amazing of the four has to be the Stila Liquid Lipstick.  This stuff is heavily pigmented so a little bit goes quite a long way.  Once it dries it sets and you can make out with your blotting tissue and it won’t smudge.  



I’m really wishing I had known about this product for my wedding day.  I wore a darker red lip and kept having to wipe it off poor Sam’s mouth.  It’s such a beautiful shade of red too: not too orange and not too blue.  Just perfect.  Seriously, get it.  It’s $22 bucks, but like I said the smallest bit goes a long way so this will last you a very long time.

I still have a few more products left to try (a BB cream, moisturizer, and mattifying gel) and I will post about them when I do.  I can’t wait until I can start receiving my own Birchbox (the wait is, like, 4 weeks!).  When I do I will post reviews on the products inside and let you know what, I think, lives up to it’s price tag and which ones you should just leave on the shelf. 

Let me know what you think about these products in a comment below.  Don’t forget to follow me on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram!

XO - Bekah

No comments:

Post a Comment